This is my favourite dish to make because it is delicious, and it just looks so impressive! It is very easy to make it look pretty. I am not good at making food look nice at all, so this is perfect for me. This also happens to be one of the easiest dishes to make, and not to mention its cooking time beats Jamie Oliver’s 30 minute mark.
Serves 2. Total Time: 25 minutes
2 cod loins
8 strips of pancetta
2 cups of baby spinach
2 teaspoon of curry powder
6 big potatoes (Maris Piper/ Kind Edward or any potatoes of that size is fine)
1 clove chopped garlic
1 knob of butter
A splash of milk
Some black pepper
– Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
– Peel potatoes and boil them for 15 minutes in salted water.
1. When you remove the cod loins from the packaging, be sure to absorb the wetness with a piece of kitchen paper towel. This will help the pancetta’s flavour to penetrate through the cod loins as they roast, instead of having the moisture blocking the absorption.
2. Wrap the cod loins with pancetta. I like to do it horizontally and vertically so that they look like parcels. This also helps the pancetta stay wrapped.
3. Season the pancetta wrapped cod loins with some pepper. Place on a baking tray in the centre of the oven for 10 minutes.
4. Check if the potatoes are done. If they are, drain the potatoes and place it back in to the pot. Then, mash the potatoes till they are half mashed. Add in a knob of butter, a splash of milk, a clove of chopped garlic, a teaspoon of curry powder, and some black pepper. Gently mash them again until they are 70% mashed. (You can mash it more if you like, but I prefer to have non fully mashed potatoes for this dish as it helps to support the baby spinach and cod layers on top.) Re-heat this mash on low heat until serving.
5. Heat some oil in a pan, and throw in the two cups of baby spinach. Cook for 30 seconds and set aside.
6. At this point, the pancetta wrapped cod should be done. Take them out of the oven.
7. To serve, spoon the mash onto the plates (try to make a circular shape with the back of a spoon), layer in the baby spinach carefully, then place the pancetta wrapped cod loins on top carefully.